Objectives of this webinar
- Learn to recognize the signs/symptoms of depression, anxiety or stress as graduate students more than 6x as likely to experience depression and anxiety as compared to general population
- Decrease the stigma of these mental health issues as a collective body
- Recognize the dangers of technology (interference with sleep, understanding reality vs virtual reality)
- Develop self-value to decrease feelings of anxiety, sadness and dissatisfaction
- Incorporate techniques (i.e. setting routines, social outings, meditation, exercise) to help decrease these symptoms
- Recognize the importance of sleep in managing mental health
Dr. Swati Kannan is a surgical, general and cosmetic dermatologist, currently practicing in California. She specializes in Mohs skin cancer surgery and reconstruction, which is a sub-specialty of surgical dermatology. She actively participates in research within the field of dermatology, mentors residents and talksfrequently in many conferences and CMEs.
Dr. Kannan started Heartfulness meditation about 12 years ago and became a trainer of Heartfulness 3 years ago.
Dr. Swati Kannan incorporates relaxation, meditation, breathing and positive affirmations as part of patient care, to reduce patient stress and anxiety prior to, during and after surgeries. She has begun to incorporate the same meditative approach when counseling trainees and mentees who are pursuing medicine. She is passionate about mentoring trainees and ensuring that they achieve inner stability, clarity and focus while chasing their career goals.